Saturday, September 10, 2011

A mail to Ganeshji

Dear Ganapatiji ,

I am writing this mail to you with the faith in you and your understanding of the basic human behaviour and an appreciation for individual difference , I know if you had no understanding of  individualities of the people you wouldnot make all 102 crore Indians think different , look different , have different likings and tastes in life.
Ganapati bappa ,you know it only well that just like a seasonal cold I catch  religious feelings   only as long as you visit us  for 5-6  days in a year .  I dont enjoy the " mechanical " pooja and hence stay away from temples and holy places . I find the entire concept of idol worship with flowers , deep , dhup very non productive ( Little kids playing with dolls makes more sense to me than mature adults  giving you bath , dress and deck you up ). Dont you feel like a "  super sweet bahu of hindi serials bedecked with heavy chunk of jwellery?" . I have no objection to their belief in you eating 21 modaks everyday which I make  for you and then eat a few of them myself without guilt.I am sure you are aware that  I may not be a  very strongly religious person but I  have never denied your existence . You have only made me partially and seasonally religious so I guess , you cannot complain about it much .
I have a very valid logic to not to do any religious rituals all 365 days in a year  is that , you are Omnipresent and wherever I  keep my head or poke my nose , your holy feet perpetually  touch them .
I dont beckon you every now  and then but am thankful that you have responded to my prayers always.
you remember , the last time I summoned you was when I had been to a mall , some 3 km from home and suddenly panicked if I had switched off the gas under the cooker or no  and then I asked you to switch off the gas and you obliged .
just yesterday when we were taking you for visarjana (immersion) , I forgot to take the prasad with us which is also to be  immersed  along with you as your provisions for journey . I know you would not mind it much considering the fact that  wet curd rice anyway would  not taste any good but I was extremely scared of  kaka(Uncle) who would not have taken it very kindly  for my floundering the tradition but you helpfully had him also forget it .
Ganapati bappa , lateral thinking is your signature style .Didn't you teach the world that Revolution around world(pradakshina) is meaningless what matters is having your parents at the centre of your life and have your life revolve around them . I just hope that you remind this simple fact to all those careless sons and daughters who leave their parents in  lurch . I feel these people don't take you seriously and ignore your teachings because you have no nusance value . I have never heard anywhere that you got angry and punished someone . why don't you take a clue from your father who keeps his third eye as a deterrant. Everyone takes him so seriously.why do you have to behave like a traffic police who serves  only the decorative purpose of the cross roads and traffic signals?
You know Godji , times have changed . when I  was in school I was taught " cleanliness is next to Godliness " but now its the vice versa . have you observed that wherever the building owners stick your colourful pictures on the stairs , those stairs are clean and nobody spits paan there .
Ganeshji , last week we had so many pandals in my city  keeping your idols and arranging different dance competetions  and events on your name . Everywhere I observed that hardly anyone was keping company to you , it was only the DJs and  dance shows which attracted the crowd . I hope you did not have any identity crisis on this issue.
Godji , times  are changing , so is everyone . I hope you will be able to keep the pace with fast changing Indian attitudes towards our  value system .
meanwhile , may I please ask you to keep all my countrymen safe and happy and honest .Noone in my country should sleep on an empty stomach .
Yeah I know , this comes under the purview of our Government  but whats the point in asking them .
I have faith in you ! so I ask you!



1 comment:

  1. I'd have loved to visit Indore. Doing the next best thing here. I hope Ganpati Bappa is listening and paying attention to what you wrote. Nice post.

    In the spirit of Ganapati Bappa being a very people friendly deity, I thought you might be interested to read this (my mom is in that post too):

    http://kaimhanta.blogspot.com/2011/09/repost-virtually-real-ganpati-bappa.html

    ReplyDelete